Houston Airports is committed to providing greater parking availability for all while also prioritizing Disabled Military Veterans. Beginning September 15, 2023, Houston Airports will offer certain military veterans and military award recipients complimentary parking each time they visit George Bush Intercontinental Airport or William P. Hobby Airport.
Veterans who have an active, permanently affixed license plate issued by any U.S. state qualify for the savings. A complete list of approved license plates is at the bottom of this webpage. In order to receive the complimentary parking, the veteran must be present at the time of exiting the parking facility.
*The complimentary service is per visit to the airport, subject to parking availability and cannot be combined with an online parking reservation.
*Qualifying disabled veterans who enter a Houston Airports parking facility before September 15 will not be affected.
Qualifying veterans can choose between:
- Up to 60 consecutive days in an ecopark lot or
- Up to 5 consecutive days in a parking garage
If the vehicle is parked past the complimentary period, the Disabled Veteran is responsible for paying the daily parking rate for each additional day. Refunds will not be issued after a vehicle leaves the parking facility.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLIMENTARY PARKING
- Driver’s License or Military Card
- Copy of the current (unexpired) vehicle registration renewal receipt
- A vehicle that has qualified permanently affixed active (unexpired) Disabled Veteran License Plate
To receive complimentary parking:
- Disabled Veteran must be present, and in the vehicle, and have proper identification.
- Driver must pull a ticket when entering the parking facility.
- Driver must exit through a manned lane: “Cash/Need Help”
- Parking attendant must verify license plate qualifies for complimentary parking.
Complimentary parking will not be offered if:
- A vehicle is displaying temporary dealer tags or paper tags.
- The owner has elected not to mount the Disabled Veteran License Plate on their vehicle.
- The Disabled Veteran is not in the vehicle when the vehicle exits the parking facility.
- Complimentary Disabled Veterans Parking may not be combined or used with valet parking or reservations.
City of Houston Ordinance
City of Houston parking ordinance Chapter 26, Section 83 states:
Pursuant to the provisions of section 681.008 of the Texas Transportation Code, as amended, the exemption from the payment of a parking meter fee for certain veterans and military award recipients shall also apply to payment of a parking fee or penalty imposed by the city for parking in a public parking garage or public parking lot.
This exemption from paying a parking fee or penalty shall not, however, extend to parking reservations and designated valet and short-term hourly parking in Houston Airport System parking lots and parking garages.
At Houston Airport System parking lots and parking garages, the time limit is set at five consecutive 24-hour periods (days) in the parking garages, and 60 days in the ecopark lots. Parking past the time limit requires payment at the posted daily parking rates for each 24-hour period (day).
The exemption extended herein shall apply when the vehicle is being operated by or for the transportation of the registrant of the vehicle under the applicable provisions of the Texas Transportation Code. The directors who have jurisdiction over the various city-operated parking garages and lots to which this privilege applies may promulgate rules for the operation of this exemption. The rules shall be consistent with applicable state law and may include, but not be limited to, a requirement that persons requesting free parking provide a registration receipt and driver's license or other evidence that the vehicle is in fact being operated by or for the transportation of the vehicle registrant.
Complete list of approved Disabled Veteran Specialty License Plates
- 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
- Airman’s Medal
- Air Medal
- Air Medal with Valor
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
- Armed Forces Service Medal
- Army of Occupation Medal
- Army Special Forces
- Borinqueneers Congressional Gold Medal
- Bronze Star Medal
- Bronze Star with Valor
- China Service Medal
- Coast Guard Medal
- Combat Action Badge
- Combat Action Ribbon Navy & Marine Corps
- Combat Action Ribbon Coast Guard
- Combat Infantryman’s Badge
- Combat Medical Badge
- Commendation Medal with Valor
- Congressional Medal of Honor
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Defense Superior Service Medal
- Distinguished Flying Cross Medal with Valor
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Distinguished Service Medal
- Enduring Freedom Afghanistan Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Korean Defense Service Medal
- Korean Service Medal
- Kosovo Campaign Medal
- Legion of Merit
- Legion of Valor
- Master Army Aviator
- Merchant Marine Expeditionary Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
- National Defense Service Medal Desert Storm
- National Defense Service Medal Korean War
- National Defense Service Medal Vietnam War
- Navy and Marine Corps Medal
- Navy Expeditionary
- Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
- Operation Iraqi Freedom Medal
- Pearl Harbor Survivor
- Presidential Service Badge
- Prisoner of War Medal
- Purple Heart
- Silver Star Medal
- Soldier’s Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal Operation Desert Storm
- Surviving Spouse of a Disabled Veteran
- US Air Force Academy
- US Armed Forces Air Force
- US Armed Forces Army
- US Armed Forces Coast Guard
- US Armed Forces Marine Corps
- US Armed Forces Navy
- US Coast Guard Academy
- US Merchant Marine Academy
- US Military Academy (WestPoint)
- US Naval Academy
- US Navy Submarine Service Enlisted
- US Navy Submarine Service Officer
- Vietnam Service Medal
- Women Veteran
- WWII Veteran