Houston Airports is committed to providing greater parking availability for all while also prioritizing Military Veterans. Beginning September 15, 2023, Houston Airports will offer certain military veterans and military award recipients complimentary parking each time they visit George Bush Intercontinental Airport or William P. Hobby Airport.
Veterans who have a qualified, active, permanently affixed license plate are eligible for the benefit savings provided by the State of Texas. A disabled veteran license plate issued by other U.S. states also qualifies for the benefit savings; however, the face of the license plate must say “Disabled Veteran.” A complete list of approved Texas license plates is at the bottom of this webpage. In order to receive the complimentary parking, the veteran must be present at the time of exiting the parking facility.
*The complimentary service is per visit to the airport, subject to parking availability, and cannot be combined with an online parking reservation.
*Qualifying veterans who enter a Houston Airport parking facility before September 15 will not be affected.
Qualifying veterans can choose between:
- Up to 60 consecutive days in an ecopark lot or
- Up to 5 consecutive days in a parking garage
If the vehicle is parked past the complimentary period, the Veteran is responsible for paying the daily parking rate for each additional day. Refunds will not be issued after a vehicle leaves the parking facility.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLIMENTARY PARKING
- Driver’s License or Military Card
- Copy of the current (unexpired) vehicle registration renewal receipt
- A vehicle that has qualified permanently affixed active (unexpired) Veteran License Plate
To receive complimentary parking:
- The Veteran must be present, and in the vehicle, and have proper identification.
- Driver must pull a ticket when entering the parking facility.
- Driver must exit through a manned lane: “Cash/Need Help”
- Parking attendant must verify license plate qualifies for complimentary parking.
Complimentary parking will not be offered if:
- A vehicle is displaying temporary dealer tags or paper tags.
- The owner has elected not to mount the Veteran License Plate on their vehicle.
- The Veteran is not in the vehicle when the vehicle exits the parking facility.
- Complimentary Veterans Parking may not be combined or used with valet parking or reservations.
City of Houston Ordinance
City of Houston parking ordinance Chapter 26, Section 83 states:
Pursuant to the provisions of section 681.008 of the Texas Transportation Code, as amended, the exemption from the payment of a parking meter fee for certain veterans and military award recipients shall also apply to the payment of a parking fee or penalty imposed by the city for parking in a public parking garage or public parking lot.
This exemption from paying a parking fee or penalty shall not, however, extend to parking reservations and designated valet and short-term hourly parking in Houston Airport System parking lots and parking garages.
At Houston Airport System parking lots and parking garages, the time limit is set at five consecutive 24-hour periods (days) in the parking garages, and 60 days in the ecopark lots. Parking past the time limit requires payment at the posted daily parking rates for each 24-hour period (day).
The exemption extended herein shall apply when the vehicle is being operated by or for the transportation of the registrant of the vehicle under the applicable provisions of the Texas Transportation Code. The directors who have jurisdiction over the various city-operated parking garages and lots to which this privilege applies may promulgate rules for the operation of this exemption. The rules shall be consistent with applicable state law and may include, but not be limited to, a requirement that persons requesting free parking provide a registration receipt and driver's license or other evidence that the vehicle is in fact being operated by or for the transportation of the vehicle registrant.
Complete list of approved Veteran Specialty License Plates
- Airman’s Medal
- Air Medal
- Air Medal with Valor
- Army of Occupation Medal
- Borinqueneers Congressional Gold Medal
- Bronze Star Medal
- Bronze Star with Valor
- Coast Guard Medal
- Commendation Medal
- Commendation Medal with Valor
- Congressional Medal of Honor
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Defense Superior Service Medal
- Disabled Veterans
- Distinguished Flying Cross Medal with Valor
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Distinguished Service Medal
- Legion of Merit
- Legion of Valor
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
- Navy and Marine Corps Medal
- Pearl Harbor Survivor
- Prisoner of War Medal
- Purple Heart
- Silver Star Medal
- Soldier’s Medal
- WWII Veteran
- OUT OF STATE - Disabled Veteran