HOUSTON — When it comes to service, travelers coming to George Bush Intercontinental Airport have some of the best airlines in the world to choose from.
According to the Skytrax 2016 World Airline Awards, seven of the top 10 airlines in the world fly out of Bush Intercontinental, including the top three in the worldwide ratings released by the leading global air transport rating organization.
In the results of an annual passenger survey, Emirates — which has provided non-stop service to and from Bush Intercontinental since December 2007 — is the top-ranked overall global airline in 2016, followed by Qatar Airways (a non-stop carrier at Bush Intercontinental since March 2009) and Singapore Airlines (a non-stop carrier at Bush Intercontinental since March 2008).
Overall, the ratings were:
- Qatar Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Cathay Pacific
- ANA All Nippon Airways
- Etihad Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- EVA Air
- Qantas Airways
From that group, All Nippon Airways, Turkish Airlines, EVA and Lufthansa also provide non-stop service to and from Bush Intercontinental.
It is the fourth time Emirates has been recognized as the top-ranked overall global airline.
As well, the Star Alliance — the largest airlines alliance serving Bush Intercontinental — was named the World's Best Airline Alliance
The airlines also were recognized for specific service areas in the passenger survey by Skytrax:
- Emirates also won the World’s Best Inflight Entertainment award and performed well in First, Business and Economy Class survey sections.
- Qatar Airways won awards including World’s Best Business Class, World’s Best Business Class lounge and Best Airline Staff in the Middle East.
- Singapore Airlines also won for Best Airline in Asia and Best Business Class Airline Seat. Commenting on the awards.
- All Nippon Airways won for World’s Best Airport Services and Best Airline Staff in Asia for the second year in a row.
- Turkish Airlines was named Best Airline in Europe.
- Eva Air — recently given a 5-star rating by Skytrax, making it one of eight airlines certified as 5-star quality worldwide —was named Best Transpacific Airline and Best Business Class Comfort Amenities. EVA will expand to daily non-stop service to and from Bush Intercontinental in 2016.
- Lufthansa won Best Transatlantic Airline for the fifth time and Best Airline in Western Europe award.
Also, Air New Zealand took the top position for World's Best Premium Economy Class for the fifth time. It also won the award for Best Premium Economy Seat.
International travel at both Bush Intercontinental and William P. Hobby Airport has grown at a steady pace over the past decade, culminating with nearly 10.7 million international passengers in 2015, a record-high total.