Roadway modifications, designed to complement construction of the new international terminal and multi-level parking garage at William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), began on Monday, April 28, 2014.
As a result of the ongoing road work, alternating lane closures are required and extra time will be necessary for motorists traveling to the airport. The impacted area can be found in the traffic lanes located to the northwest of the terminal building, which lead directly into the covered parking garage and passenger pickup zone.
The work that has been completed, permanently removed two lanes of traffic previously used to guide drivers directly into the entryway helix for the covered parking garage. Drivers will now access the helix through an entry point slightly closer to the garage structure itself.
Passengers are strongly encouraged to obtain specific information directly from their chosen airline but in general terms, customers are advised to arrive to the airport at least an hour-and-a-half prior to their scheduled departure time. This is especially important during the peak travel times, which are typically 6:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Key Tips for Hobby Airport Customers
- Drivers picking up arriving passengers should use the Cell Phone Waiting Lot, as opposed to circling the airport’s ring road. The lot can be found off Airport Boulevard, west of the main entry.
- Check with preferred airline for specific information but in general terms, arrive an hour-and-a-half prior to scheduled departure time. Especially important from 6:00 a.m.- 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
- Customers may want to consider the ecopark 2 parking lot, which is located off Airport Blvd., east of the main entry. (This area is unaffected by construction and lane closures.)
- Please pay close attention to the directional signage, particularly in area approaching upper level ramp
International Terminal Building: This five-gate facility will facilitate the arrival of regional international air service at William P. Hobby Airport. Funded by Southwest Airlines, the terminal building is being constructed to the west of the existing terminal and is scheduled for completion in the fourth quarter of 2015. Once flights are operational, nonstop service will be available to a number of destinations throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Parking Garage A new multi-level parking garage is being constructed to the immediate northwest of the existing garage. Completion of the project is being timed to coordinate with the opening of the new international terminal facility, slated for completion in the fourth quarter of 2015. The new facility will add 3,000 spaces to the parking inventory at Hobby Airport and will feature a number of added features, such as a space locator system which provides drivers with real time information regarding parking availability.
- Lane closures to the northwest of terminal
- Impact to parking garage entry and passenger pickup
- Necessary for construction of new covered parking garage
Media needing additional information or materials should contact the Houston Airport System Media Line at 281.233.1234
For the Community:
If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact us via email.