Founded in 2012 to help high school students enter aviation and aerospace careers, the Houston Airports Aviation Club currently sponsors one HISD high school chapter: Sterling High School. Students meet with other Aviation Club members monthly to participate in learning, enrichment and mentoring activities.
Students must meet the following criteria for membership:
- Attend Sterling High School
- Be in good standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Maintain satisfactory attendance at meetings throughout the year
- Have a desire and passion for exploring post-secondary education and career opportunities in aerospace or aviation
Numerous education entities and community groups have accepted the invitation from Houston Airports to get involved in the Aviation Club. These sponsors include:
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Texas Southern University
- San Jacinto College
- Lone Star College
- Houston Independent School District (College and Career Readiness)
- Sterling High School
- Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership
- NASA - Johnson Space Center
- City of Houston
One of the ultimate goals of the Aviation Club is to build an aviation and aerospace workforce for the future. For a brochure with more detailed information about the club, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why launch an aviation club?
Houston Airports Director Mario C. Diaz had a vision to launch the club during the 2012 school year as a means to plant seeds for future generations to enter aviation and aerospace careers. Dreaming of aviation when growing up in New York, he found early exposure to the industry critical for his career path.
He believes that Houston's "Space City" legacy will continue if we plant enough seeds in the hearts and minds of our young people. "As a teenager," he says, "I became fascinated with aviation, and I enjoyed the journey I experienced as first a pilot and later an executive for airports in three major U.S. cities. My dream is to create a Houston-based initiative geared to fostering the passion for flying in the next generation of aviators and space pioneers."
What is the mission of the aviation club?
- To create an educational and learning experience for students that ignites an interest in aerospace careers
- To promote student interest in pursuing a post-secondary degree in aerospace or aviation related careers at community colleges and universities with related degree disciplines
- To support greater Houston area students interested in aerospace and aviation careers
Why an aviation club?
The Houston Airports Aviation Club offers students the opportunity to:
- Personally connect and exchange ideas with diverse and successful aviation/aerospace leaders and educators in the industry.
- Work directly with mentors to foster educational growth and leadership development.
- Meet peers from other high schools who share their common enthusiasm, excitement and energy for aviation/aerospace related careers.
- Participate in monthly sessions that provide hands-on experiences to increase awareness of strategic and operational issues facing the aviation and aerospace industry.
What is the curriculum for the monthly meetings?
Students meet on a monthly basis. Each meeting includes:
- Learning activities that emphasize math, science and technology.
- Enrichment activities to explore team building, leadership, presentation and competition skills.
- Project activities that emphasize creativity with hands-on learning, designing, budgeting and time management.
Are there plans to expand the program to other high schools?
Yes. With support from our sponsors, Houston Airports plans to expand the program to additional Houston area high schools.