HOUSTON — Travel industry experts predict more than 45 million people will fly to destinations around the country and globe during the holiday season, and nearly 2.4 million of that number will pass through George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU) airports in Houston.
From Dec. 17, 2016 through Jan. 2, 2017, a projected 1.87 million passengers will depart, arrive or connect through Bush Airport, an expected increase of more than 20,000 passengers from the totals that were recorded in 2015/2016. During that same period, Hobby Airport expects to see more than 500,000 passengers, an increase of more than 53,000 over the previous year’s total.
The good news for passengers is the fact that Houston Airports’ enhanced digital tool box is full of handy information that can help make holiday travel go as smoothly as possible. The fly2houston.com website is mobile-friendly and focuses on the passenger journey — with tailored pages to fit the specific needs of departing, arriving and connecting passengers — and provides plenty of useful information and tips for holiday travelers.
On the fly2houston.com website, travelers can find:
- Real-time updates on the time it takes to clear the seven TSA security checkpoints at the five terminals at Bush Airport. Learn more at this link.
- Real-time updates on the time it takes to clear the TSA security checkpoint at Hobby Airport. Learn more at this link.
- Parking spaces available at both Bush Airport at this link, and at Hobby Airport at this link.
- Arriving passengers can find information about baggage pickup, transportation, dining and shopping, and helpful maps. For Bush Airport, learn more at this link. For Hobby Airport, learn more at this link.
- Connecting passengers can find information about getting around the airports, dining and shopping options and more. For Bush Airport, learn more at this link. For Hobby Airport, learn more at this link.
Here are more helpful hints that can make traveling this time of year a little easier:
- Get to the airport early: Arrive two hours before scheduled departure time to ensure plenty of time for parking and unloaded.
- Parking: Reserve a parking spot early by making a reservation here. Save at the ecopark lots at Bush Airport with this 20 percent off coupon.
- Use technology: Use fly2houston.com to get the latest flight information. Check in for flight 24 hours prior to departure. The free WiFi at both Bush and Hobby airports has been rated as some of the fastest in any airport in the country and world, and there are plenty of charging stations and some seating at both airports with electrical outlets for re-charging mobile devices.
- Prepare for security line: Have boarding pass and ID ready for display, remove shoes and everything from pockets before going through the metal detector or whole body imaging technology at the checkpoint. Follow the 3-1-1 rule in regards to liquids in your carry-on bag. Visit the TSA’s website — tsa.gov — for a list of prohibited items and helpful travel tips, and if you’re a member of TSA Pre✓, follow the signs at checkpoints to participate in expedited screening.
- Relax: Houston Airports have plenty of amenities to help enhance the passenger experience before their flight.
- Harmony in the Air is a live performing arts program featuring some of the Houston’s best local talent.
- Take time to enjoy the new concessions available at Houston Airports featuring local favorites like Pink’s Pizza to well-known brands like Dylan’s Candy Bar
- Pamper yourself at Hobby Airport at XpresSpa and head to your destination refreshed.
- Finish your Holiday shopping. Houston Airports offers a wide of retail shops that are sure to please from Mac Cosmetics to Pandora, Best Buy, Paul & Shark and many more.