| » Newsletters
Houston Airport System- Holiday Travel Notes
November 22, 2013
||© Houston Airport System
||Preparation is key to minimizing possible difficulties during holiday travel.
More than 1.4 million passengers are expected to pass through both George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) during an 11-day holiday period kicking off on Friday, November 22nd and running through Monday, December 2nd.
George Bush Intercontinental Airport will handle almost 1.1 million passengers during that time period, which is similar to the numbers recorded during the 2012 holiday season.
However, Hobby Airport will likely see a 40 percent increase in the number of holiday travelers, with an estimated 361,000 travelers passing through the gates.
Passengers are encouraged to arrive at the airport at least two hours prior to their departure time, so that possible congestion along the roadways or inside the terminal facilities does not result in a missed flight.
Busiest days for Hobby include:
· Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving
with more than 38,000
· Monday, December 2 with 38,000
· Friday, November 22 with 37,000
Busiest days for George Bush Airport include:
· Sunday, December 1 with 115,000
· Friday, November 22 with 112,000
· Saturday, November 30 with 109,000
TSA PreCheck available at both Bush and Hobby
The popular expedited traveler program known as PreCheck is now available to passengers at William P. Hobby Airport and has expanded to every terminal at Bush Intercontinental. American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United are all listed as participating carriers for the PreCheck program. For those flying Southwest Airlines, Select Rapid Rewards Members will be invited to opt in to the TSA PreCheck program. These passengers are chosen using a process that was established by TSA.
Ecopark 2 Almost Triples the Number of Parking Spaces at Hobby Airport
Customers are now finding hundreds of additional parking spaces at William P. Hobby Airport’s Ecopark 2 Parking Lot. The Houston Airport System has expanded the number of spaces located within the economy parking lot, from a total of 356 to 1,012 spaces.
The additional 656 parking spaces became available to the public on November 20, just in time for the rush of holiday traffic.
Parking rates for the Ecopark 2 parking lot are as follows:
0 – 3 hrs: $4.62 + tax 3 – 24 hrs: $7.39 + tax
Cell Phone Lots are Available at both Bush And Hobby Airports
If picking up an arriving passenger, make sure to use the “Cell Phone Lots” located at both George Bush Intercontinental Airport and William P. Hobby Airport. Drivers can park free of charge while waiting for their passenger to arrive, rather than needlessly circling the outer ring road.
Here are a few additional tips that may save you time:
• Check your airline - Because of this heavy holiday traffic, customers are encouraged to maintain close contact with their chosen airline in order to ensure they’ve received the latest flight information available.
• Use technology – The web is an excellent resource in obtaining the latest flight information and overall travel trends. You can check in for your flight 24 hours prior to departure and many airlines allow you to check in by using a digital bar code on the screen of your smartphone. www.fly2houston.com
• Prepare for security line – There are several steps you can take to minimize the amount of time needed to pass through the security line, including: having your boarding pass ready for display, removing your shoes, follow the 3-1-1 rule in regards to liquids in your carryon bag (Fliers are limited to 3-ounce or smaller containers of liquids or gels, that can fit in a one-quart-size clear plastic zip-top bag; one bag per passenger) For more detailed information, visit www.tsa.org